Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rippling Monkeys!

My Monkey socks are complete!



These were so much fun, and so fast! It's the siren-call of the repeated pattern, I'm telling you. The yarn was Knitpicks Essential Tweed, which I will not be using again for a while, if I can help it. It's perfectly fine yarn, but it splits like crazy. Also, it had a hard time sliding just so over my bamboo needles, which made me nuts in its own right. Still, I'm really pleased with the results. Last night after I finished I cast on some very bright ribbed socks in some of the spoils of Knitswap. I don't have a larger project to work on right now; a couple of things are stalled in the waiting-for-materials phase, but essentially I'm left with nothing to do but make socks at what I predict will be a furious rate. More pictures coming soon!


Also, I've been lurking around the No-End-In-Sight Ripple-Along. It makes me want to crochet so badly I can almost taste it. I was sitting there last night thinking about how much fun it would be to do a ripple a day,how inexpensively I could obtain the yarn, how I would palette it. I've already decided that if I do get it together enough to learn to crochet and make a blanket (hey, look, a flying pie!), I'll palette it after one of the skirts that Mom's made me.



Admit it, those colors would make a killer ripple blanket. The real questions are: since when am I interested in crochet? That's always been something I make Katie do for me. Why is the project that inspires me one that would take months to complete? What's going to happen if I take up with crochet with the same, or at least similar, vigor that stirs me to knit? I may never sleep again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must go for a Ripple blanket! I'm fairly new to crochet and find the simple, repeatitive ripple to be relaxing and mindless. Plus you get to change colors every 2 rows, which is endlessly fun. Go for it!

Anonymous said...

Crochet is one-needle knitting and thus compatible. You could end up on a desert island with a sheep and a crochet hook. Hey, it could happen. Be prepared.