Saturday, March 17, 2007

Questions, Questions

So as many of you know, my good friend Liz is graduating in May, only a few days after her birthday, and I want to make something for her as a graduation/birthday gift. Although I had thought about making her some arrr-gyles, I started to think that maybe she would like something else better. Something a little more luxurious. Something kind of grown-up and fancy that she can wear when she's working in galleries an such. So I've narrowed it down to two options, upon which I need your input.


The first option is a mini-Claoptis done in Shepherd Worsted in the Irving Park colorway. I would make the scarf half as wide as the pattern calls for, but keep the length. I frankly do not have time to make a full-sized Clapotis - the rows are 107 stitches long, for heaven's sake. But half-size would go fairly quickly, and it's fun to drop stitches on purpose, it really is.


The other option is a little more uncertain, but still is the one I'm leaning toward. It involves getting a skein of Regal Silk in colorway 114 and making a triangular garter-stitch scarf. Or, with a little budget-stretching, I could get two skeins and do a parallelogram (or a bigger triangle. Or a shorter mini-Clapotis. Hmmm...). What excites me about this option is the idea of working with pure silk, and the fact that I know Liz would love both the fiber content and colorway.


I honestly don't know what to choose. What do you guys think? I'm completely torn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for the silk- it will be so luxurious - and will last her a life time - and wear like iron- a triangle scarf from the Purl book would be great- and Argyles could be for the next thing-
xoxoxoMom

Anonymous said...

I agree. Silk lasts centiries. Da.

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of Clapotis...But you know how I love a scarf to throw around one's neck in the French style...