Monday, March 12, 2007

It's The Little Differences

Finally, my first pair of socks is complete!


It's true that there are certain ...shall we say... asymmetries, but still, they're done, and that makes me happy. And the intended recipient is a non-knitter who will (probably) never know. My one major complaint was that the yarn split more easily than a summer camp friendship, but it has the virtue of being machine washable, which puts me in a forgiving mood.


Tonight in class I started my first Roza Sock. Really what I'm doing with these is borrowing the stitch pattern and applying it to the sock pattern in Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. The brioche stitch pattern doesn't show up quite as well as I would have hoped, but I'm still really enjoying doing it.



The effect in the end is that of a slightly fancied-up ribbing. Highly enjoyable. And the yarn is great to knit with - nice and springy, with colors changing often enough to keep my interest going. I don't know how well it shows up on the screen, but the colorway is super-vibrant. Yum.


Other than that, I just returned from a super-excellent weekend in New York with Boyfriend. We were very busy the whole time, mostly with going to see long movies that had nothing to do with each other. We saw Zodiac, which gets points simply for being a movie set in San Francisco in 1969 without being set in San Francisco Land! (TM) Way to dodge a bullet there (so to speak). Also I love watching Robert Downey Jr. do his thing. The movie took a definite downturn once he was no longer in it. I was also able to finally see Into Great Silence, which I havebeen looking forward to for a while. It was absolutely beautiful. The film produced a lot of yawns, but was just gorgeous nonetheless. After 2.5 hours with monks who engaged in a total of maybe ten minutes of dialogue, it was a very strange feeling to re-emerge into New York at night. Also, can you think of a greater treat than seeing a group of largely solitary monks with the most ascetic lifestyle of any Catholic order cut loose and go sledding?

I didn't think so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The socks turned out GREAT! And as for any irregularities - as the great Philosopher Pee Wee Herman said "I ment to do that".....xoomxoom