Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Forming In My Brain...

I've made one Corazon mitten (pictures coming soon), but to be honest I don't love it, and I'm not sure I'll do the other one. The two colors are too close to each other in intensity, and it's difficult to pick out the fair-isle pattern. Although they are bunny-soft, I am not as pleased as I thought I would be.


In the mean time, I've been having lots of ideas. Oddly, thoughts of the future are the galvanizing force, helping me make much-welcome progress on my bird sweater. The body is this close to being done, and then it's on to sleeves. But, the ideas:


First, a re-vamp. When I saw The Science of Sleep, I loved it for lots of reasons, not least of which was the beautiful-casual, I'm-offbeat-and-French variegated raglan pullover that Charlotte Gainsbourg wears for pretty much the whole movie.



Who wouldn't want to make that sweater? Anyway, I did, and in the most beautiful Manos Del Uruguay, dyed navy and copper and cream... yum! It has big bell sleeves, which are really fun, and it's very confortable. However, when I made it, I did not know everything that I now know about waist shaping, and the body just doesn't quite fit. I recently read about knitting darts, and it's making me want to unravel the sweater and knit it again. I just love this yarn so much, and I hate to see it wasting away in a less-than-perfect garment. So at the moment possible modifications include: better waist shaping (with darts!), set-in sleeves to iradicate a slight shoulder-definition problem, and maybe, just maybe, making a cardigan instead of a pullover. Maybe. Still thinking though.


The other idea I'm having is for a close-fitting cardigan in bulky weight wool with some big-ass cables on the sleeves, next to the button band, and down the back. What I have in mind is not unlike this; I like the fit and I love the garter stitch background. The yarn I have in mind is Knitpicks' Wool of the Andes Bulky in Mauve (I know... pink! I think I'm growing).


Anyway, I've been sketching and thinking and adding projects to my mental 'to knit' list. And all of these things are totally preempted by the bird sweater and the $1.50 Cardi, which I can't wait to get started on. Maybe if I start a spring sweater then some of this mud will dry up...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the Bulky Cable you had a link to. Looks like Middle Earth armor almost.

Anonymous said...

We really enjoy looking at what you're doing in your leisure time! especially the sweater with so many patterns!