Friday, February 2, 2007

Knitting My Senior Project

PS - 45 minutes after last night's post Portrait lay defeated on my bedside table. Take that, Jim!

First meeting with my senior project advisor tomorrow. I'm nervous because I haven't started yet. However, it's only the first week of the semester. And I will definitely be starting this weekend (I have my own desk in the library and everything. It's all very Hogwarts).

I'm nervous particularly because I'm doing a creative writing project, and I'm really not sure what form it will take (novel(la) vs. short story collection) or what it will be about. My ideas are still very general, and the thought of the commitment involved in an actual beinning is a little scary. Starting is the second hardest part (the hardest being finishing), but I'm staying positive.
Maybe if I think of it as casting on...

No, seriously, that's kind of comforting. I mean, if I cast on a sweater and it sucks ass, I can always rip it out and start again. In fact the ability to do so is an essential part of what makes me a good knitter. And going back and changing the beginning of a story is actually easier (or at least less time-consuming) than going back to the beginning of a knitted garment. That is, until I master the provisional cast-on. Still, I like this metaphor. I'm sticking with it. Go knitting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the question still remains.....did you finish the Odessa hat? Jon and I are worried that you are going hat-less and, in your own words, it's "ass cold" up there!

Jon and I are lying in bed (with Trudy between us) and I am reading them your blog. What a great Saturday morning!!!

Cast on!

Markie