Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Variegated Odessa Hat

I just got some truly luscious yarn from Stitch Therapy in Park Slope, and I'm using it to make my very own Odessa Hat. I'm doing it without the beads, and I had to do some gauge adjustments because the yarn (whose name I forget) is more of a light worsted than a DK. I'm getting about 5.5 stitches per inch (on the larger needles... the pattern wasn't specific as to whether the given gauge is for the 6's or the 4's), and so with a little math I cast on 90 instead of 110 stitches. I'm hoping it works out okay.

Anyway, on to the good stuff:

Here's the yarn itself, in all its glory. The raspberry-ruby with the olive and then the little shots of yellow is just beautiful, and it is so f-ing soft!
Here's the hat as it stands, about 3" done, about three more to go before decreasing.
And here's a little close-up of the stitch pattern. I really like how it's coming out - I wanted a pattern with some texture, but with a variegated yarn it's hard to find a texture that doesn't overwhelm the colors of the yarn itself. I think this is a good balance.
Yay! I love making hats. I know a lot of people who are wild about socks as instant-gratification knitting, but for me it's all about hats. They only take a few days and then -bam- new hat. Who doesn't love that?

4 comments:

fleurdiabolique said...

That looks absolutely lovely. Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

Adriana said...

Wow, that is absolutely lovely. I can't wait to see it finished!

A 30-something femme createrix said...

What an absolutely stunning yarn!!! Can you post the label info? I know you said you don't remember what it was called...but can you maybe remeber a little harder? That is just soooo...scrumptious! I must have some!!!

Unknown said...

dude- where did the awesome yarn come from?